November 9, 2009

Teaching

Teaching is not easy and sometimes you will feel lonely when you try your best and have no any response. This was my feeling I got from the English course. In this English course, we are asked to give four lectures of 15~20 minutes to the undergraduate students here. So, most of them are Americans.

Up to now, I have finished three of my presentations. I still remembered clearly the 100% silence when I talked Doppler effects to the audience, who was not from science. It was scary and terrible. You did not what they were thinking. They had no any expression, and all were with poker faces. During the presentation, the question "did I have any problem? " constantly knocked me on the head. I felt very uncomfortable then. Fortunately, I finished it :D

I indeed learned a big lesson from this experience. Actually, it was not my fault when the audience was totally silent! Only thinking so, and grasping the passion I had toward physics can make me keep on comfortably. That is why I can succeed in finishing my third presentation.

But you know, as a speaker in the spot, no body wants no response. Any comment is very welcome for the speaker, and that will make them feel very achieved and satisfied!

SO, DO NOT BE SILENT NEXT TIME WHEN YOU LISTEN TO A SPEECH.

2 comments:

  1. One of my classmate from Southern Korea was really cute. She said I prepared for a lot of questions waiting for you guys to ask, but you did not ask at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you got it! You never ask questions in class in NTHU... haha. But you are right. No comments from the audience is not the speaker's fault, and not the audience's, either. However, you can always try your best to inspire them. I appreciate your courage.

    ReplyDelete